- ASP.NET is a web development platform, which provides a programming model, a comprehensive software infrastructure and various services required to build up robust web applications for PC, as well as mobile devices.
- It is a Server-Side Scripting Language. Based on IIS server (Internet Information Services).
- It is browser independent.
CLIENT SERVER MODEL
Here are some point that gives the quick overview of ASP.NET.
- ASP.NET provides services to allow the creation, deployment, and execution of Web Applications and Web Services
- Like ASP, ASP.NET is a server-side technology
- Web Applications are built using Web Forms. ASP.NET comes with built-in Web Forms controls, which are responsible for generating the user interface. They mirror typical HTML widgets like text boxes or buttons. If these controls do not fit your needs, you are free to create your own user controls.
- Web Forms are designed to make building web-based applications as easy as building Visual Basic applications or win-form apps
- Microsoft Active Server Pages (ASP) is a server-side scripting technology. ASP is a technology that Microsoft created to ease the development of interactive Web applications.
- ASP.NET was released in 2002 as a successor to Classic ASP.
- ASP.NET pages have the extension .aspx and are normally written in C# (C sharp).
- ASP.NET 4.6 is the latest official version of ASP.NET.
WHAT IS .NET FRAMEWORK
- .NET is a programming framework created by Microsoft that developers can use to create applications more easily.
- A framework is just a bunch of code that the programmer can call without having to write it explicitly.
- It is basically a collection of libraries.
- Is a programming platform that is used for developing Windows, Web-based, and mobile software.
- It has a number of pre-coded solutions that manage the execution of programs written specifically for the framework.
The ASP.NET application codes can be written in any of the following languages:
- Visual Basic.Net
ASP.NET is used to produce interactive, data-driven web applications over the internet. It consists of a large number of controls such as text boxes, buttons, and labels for assembling, configuring, and manipulating code to create HTML pages.
ASP.NET provides three development styles for creating web applications:
- Web Forms
- ASP.NET MVC
- ASP.NET Web Pages
ASP.Net Web Forms
- It is an event driven development framework. It is used to develop application with powerful data access.
- It provides server side controls and events to create web application. It is part of the ASP.NET framework.
- It gives us a MVC (Model View Controller), patterns-based way to build dynamic websites. It enables a clean separation of concerns and that gives you full control over markup for enjoyable, agile development.
- It also provides many features that enable fast development for creating outstanding applications.
ASP.NET Web Pages
- It is used to create dynamic web pages. It provides fast and lightweight way to combine server code with HTML.
- It helps to add video, link to the social sites.
- It also provides other features like you can create beautiful sites that conform to the latest web standards.
- It uses razor syntax to insert dynamic content in the page.
- Razor syntax uses C# or VB as a programming language.
- All these are stable and well equipped frameworks. We can create web applications with any of them. These are also based on the .NET Framework and share core functionalities of .NET and ASP.NET.