Before we understand what is Web API, let’s see what is an API (Application Programing Interface).
What Is API ?
As per Wikipedia’s Definition of API: In computer programming, (API) is a set of subroutine definitions, protocols, and tools for building software and applications.
Some Examples of APIs
- Weather Snippets
2. Log-in Using XYZ
3. Pay with PayPal
Web API In A Single Picture
Example No 1
Example No 2
What Is ASP.NET WEB API ?
- Web API allows users to access a particular resource using HTTP protocol.
- We can build Web API using different technologies like .NET, PHP, JAVA, PYTHON etc
- In .Net Microsoft has created a framework for web API called ASP.NET WEB API.
- ASP.NET Web API is a framework that makes it easy to build HTTP web services (Restful HTTP services).
- It is provided by Dot Net Framework.
- That web services reaches a broad range of clients, including browser, mobile applications, Desktop application and IOTs.
- It is very similar to ASP.NET MVC since it contains the MVC features.
- Web API is a programming interface/application type that provides communication or interaction between software applications.
- Web API is often used to provide an interface for web sites and client applications to have data access.
- Web APIs can be used to access data from a database and save data back to the database.
What is Restful Services?
- Rest Stands for “Representational state transfer”.
- Its introduce in 2000 by Roy Fielding.
- In REST architecture, a REST Server simply provides access to resources and the REST client accesses and presents the resources.
- Here each resource is identified by URIs/ Global IDs.
- A resource is any information that has name like image, entity, document etc.
- REST uses various representations to represent a resource like Text, JSON and XML. JSON is now the most popular format being used in Web Services.
REST architectural pattern specifies a set of constraints that a system adhere to.
- Client Server
- Uniform Interface